Monday, March 29, 2010

Real Life

After a jam-packed weekend of friends, food, new music and wanderings, I have mixed feelings about being home. My dog greeting me with his wiggly butt and lickey kisses helped ease the transition but I still feel melancholic after such an idyllic visit to the city.  The thoughts of living there again taunt me in my dreams ... And  I remind myself that living there and visiting at a time when you are free to do completely as you please are two very different things.

Our time there was perfection - I couldn't have asked for anything better. Dinner and drinks with dear friends at Flatbush Farm and Bar(n), watching the sun set in the American Wing of Metropolitan Museum of Art, partying with lovely people to live Jazz at the Tea Lounge, and enjoying the best homemade crepes with my man and two of our best friends lead up to the original excuse for our trip: the premiere of Chris's piece for the ensemble counter)induction. The Tenri Cultural Institute was packed to max with interesting people who wanted to hear new music. How cool is that?

Chris said the experience of hearing his piece played was "amazing and surreal. The performers did a fantastic job and it was incredible to see them make music out of what I had given them. The whole frame of the concert was beautiful and really well considered. It's exactly the kind of project a composer likes to be a part of."

Tonight Chris and I relax, recuperate, and enjoy his recent success. But starting tomorrow its time to get to all those odds and ends I've been vacationing from. I'm finishing up filming a project, I have a whole list of errands I aim to complete, and its time to hit the gym. Yes, its back to real life for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment